When it comes to building your author or writer brand, one thing is certain. You’ll need a website that makes it easy to showcase your works. Thanks to a platform like WordPress, you can easily build a powerful author or writer website.
To make things even better, there are plenty of WordPress themes that were designed specifically with authors and writers in mind. These themes have professional features that make it easy to showcase your writing portfolio as well as sell your published books.
- 1 Where to Find Premium WordPress Themes For Writers
- 2 WordPress Themes for Wordsmiths: Our Top Picks
- 3 What to Look For in a WordPress Theme For Writers
- 4 Which Author or Writer WordPress Theme Is Right For You
- 5 Explore More WordPress Themes
- 6 Showcase And Sell Your Books With A WordPress Theme Made For Writers And Authors
Where to Find Premium WordPress Themes For Writers
If you’re looking for the best WordPress theme for writers and authors, stop by Envato Elements first.
Envato Elements is a subscription-based marketplace where you can find thousands of creative design assets and templates for a low, monthly fee. This includes:
- Professional WordPress themes
- Presentation templates
- Stock photos, fonts, and more.
You can download as many WordPress themes and other assets as you need. This makes Envato Elements a great choice when you need design assets on the regular.
But, if you prefer buying WordPress themes one at a time, head on over to ThemeForest. ThemeForest is part of Envato Market, a suite of marketplaces that cater to various creative needs. Each marketplace has different design assets that you can use for all your projects.
Both Envato Elements and Envato Market have WordPress themes for writers with professional features such as:
- Plenty of customization options to make the theme match your brand perfectly
- Premade templates and demo sites that you can import with a single click and speed up the design process
- The ability to display your books and sell them from your site
Plus, free WordPress themes simply cannot match the professional design found in premium themes for writers and authors.
WordPress Themes for Wordsmiths: Our Top Picks
- Modern, responsive design
- Tons of customization options
- Easy install and demo import process
- Integrates with popular plugins and third-party apps
- Customization options can be a little overwhelming due to the sheer amount of options
The first theme on our list is Auteur. This modern and stylish theme was designed with authors and publishers in mind. The theme offers 4 different homepage layouts, 10 blog layouts, and extensive customization options.
One of the unique features of the Auteur theme is the ability to use presets to control the styling of the theme. Presets allow you to easily apply changes on individual pages and override global theme options. In other words, you can easily create a unique style for an individual page without affecting other pages on your site. Other notable features include:
- Drag and drop page building experience with WP Bakery or Elementor page builder plugin
- Extensive theme options panel
- Plenty of premade inner pages
- Integration with WooCommerce to sell your books
- Support for single author and multi-author websites
- Integration with Mailchimp
- Advanced header and footer options
In addition to that, the theme has extensive documentation that you can refer to in case you run into any issues while building your site.
Ease Of Use
The Auteur theme is easy to use. In fact, the entire installation and demo import process is rather easy. The only thing you have to do is choose which page builder you want to use with the theme. Then, all the pages are imported for you so you can explore different layouts and styles.
Another useful option is to deactivate plugins that you aren’t using on your site that come bundled with the theme. This improves your website performance significantly.
The theme options are a little overwhelming but give you a great deal of control over how your website looks. Plus don’t forget that you get even more customization options through the page builder plugin so you’re only limited by your imagination.
Pros and Cons
The Auteur theme definitely has a lot of pros. It has a modern and elegant designt that puts your books into spotlight. It’s versatile enough to be used for single author as well as multi-author sites. It’s easy to use and configure and you can launch your site relatively quickly with it.
However, if this is your first time building a website, the theme can be a little overwhelming due to the sheer amount of options that are available. It’s also worth mentioning that after installing recommended plugins, the sidebar menu in your WordPress dashboard starts to look a bit cluttered. This can make it harder to find the setting you need.
- Easy to use
- Layouts focused on readability
- Customization options are neatly organized in Live Customizer
- Loads fast
- Not as many demos as some other themes
The Contentberg theme touts itself as a content marketing theme for WordPress. It’s a great choice for writers, bloggers, and authors alike since it has a minimal and clean design. With this theme, the main focus is on content. This is evident from the carefully chosen typography and ample white space.
The Contentberg theme offers great readability. Pair that with fully responsive design and your readers can enjoy your writing no matter which device they’re using. This theme relies on the Gutenberg editor to make the writing experience as easy as possible. Other notable features include:
- Support for WP Bakery page builder for additional drag and drop features
- 6 premade demos to choose from
- Multiple blog layout styles to choose from
- Integration with WooCommerce so you can sell your books
- Optimized to load fast
- Built-in social media sharing options
- Premade header layouts
- Built-in image optimization settings to improve performance and SEO
Plus, the theme integrates with popular WordPress plugins such as Yoast SEO, Mailchimp for WordPress, Contact Form 7, and more.
Ease Of Use
The Contentberg theme is easy to use even if you’re a beginner. Although it has extensive customization options, they’re located in a single location and easy to access. Since the theme relies primarily on Gutenberg, you can easily use the native widgets to create your pages.
What sets the theme apart is the bundled Meow Apps plugin. This plugin makes recommendations for improving your website in terms of photography, performance, and SEO. It recommends which plugins to install and which ones to remove to make sure your website continues to load fast.
Pros and Cons
When it comes to Contentberg theme, it’s hard to find a con. Perhaps the only downside is that it doesn’t offer as many demos as some other themes. However, 6 demos is nothing to scoff at. In fact, too many choices can lead to decision paralysis which can slow down your website launch.
So if you’ve used other WordPress theme in the past and you’re used to dozens of demos to choose from, you won’t find that in this theme. Other than that, the theme is easy to use, offers plenty of customization options, and can be used by bloggers, writers, and authors alike.
- Modern design
- Allows you to promote book launches and signing events
- Optimized for SEO
- Multiple ways to showcase and promote your books
- Integration with Mailchimp and popular WordPress plugins
- Demo import options are not easy to find
The Odrin theme has an elegant yet minimal design. The theme offers two different demos with 4 homepage layouts. You’ll also find plenty of premade inner page layouts.
The Odrin theme has a unique coming soon page that allows you to promote your upcoming book launch. There’s also a page to promote events which you can use to announce when and where you’ll be signing books.
Other key features include:
- Responsive design
- Integration with WooCommerce and other popular WordPress plugins
- Perfect for selling multiple books
- Built-in Mailchimp newsletter widget
- Built-in social media sharing features
- Unique page flipping effect for book previews
Ease Of Use
When it comes to the ease of use, the Odrin theme is not hard to use. If you want to build the pages yourself, you can do so as soon as the theme and the recommended plugins have been installed. The theme uses the Unyson page builder plugin which allows you to build out your pages with a simple drag and drop interface.
However, if you want to save time and import a demo, you might have a hard time finding that option. Unlike other themes that place it under Appearance or in their own theme panel, the Odrin theme places it under the Tools menu. This can make it difficult to find, especially if you’re a new user.
Pros and Cons
The Odrin theme has a modern design that puts a great emphasis on your books. It’s perfect for selling single and multiple books and offers multiple ways to showcase them.
On the downside, the theme options are not as extensive as they are with other themes. So if you’re looking for complete control over your website’s looks and feel, you might be a little disappointed. In addition to that, finding the demo install option is not as straightforward as it is with other themes on this list. It’s buried under the Tools menu and requires a fair amount of clicking to find.
What to Look For in a WordPress Theme For Writers
As mentioned earlier, there are numerous WordPress themes for writers and authors. But how do you know which theme to choose? Here are a few key features that every WordPress theme for writers should have:
- Responsive design to ensure your website looks great on mobile devices. This is important as more than half of all internet traffic comes from mobile nowadays.
- The ability to sell your books through your website
- Customization options so you can use your brand colors, fonts, and other brand elements
- The ability to create a coming soon page to announce new book releases and build anticipation
Which Author or Writer WordPress Theme Is Right For You
So now that you’ve seen these great author and writer WordPress themes in action, let’s talk about how to decide which theme to use.
The Auteur theme is a perfect choice if you want to focus on selling your books. Whether you’re the author or have a publishing house to promote multiple authors, this theme will serve you well. However, keep in mind that it can be a little overwhelming for new WordPress users.
If you want a theme that’s easy to use, the Contentberg theme is perfect. It offers just the right amount of feature to make it easy to customize it without overwhelming you with too many choices.
Lastly, the Odrin theme offers plenty of options to showcase and promote your books if you’re a single author. However, the theme is not the easiest to use so keep that in mind if you’re just getting started.
Explore More WordPress Themes
WordPress themes for writers and authors are only a sliver of what’s available on ThemeForest. If you’re a building a different type of WordPress website or if you want more inspiration, be sure to check out these theme roundups:
Showcase And Sell Your Books With A WordPress Theme Made For Writers And Authors
Building your brand and online presence as a writer and author is easy when you have the right foundation. WordPress makes it easy to create a website in no time. And with the help of a WordPress theme for writers and authors, you’ll be able to take it to the next level and sell your books with ease.
Head on over to ThemeForest to find the perfect WordPress theme for your website and share your written works with the word.